Soak Up the Rain – Rain Gardens Rule!
Become a Great Bay Tide Turner!
Did you know that 25 percent of New Hampshire’s population lives in the Great Bay watershed? By taking these simple steps, you can help create a healthier estuary and ensure clean water for future generations:
1. Reduce Stormwater Runoff
- Get a rain barrel or install dry wells on downspouts
- Plant a rain garden
- Maintain a naturally vegetated buffer along waterways
- Put in dripline trenches and diverters
- Install porous pavement walkways and driveways
2. Change Your Lawn Care Habits
- Get your soil tested
- Use slow-release, organic fertilizer
- Plant clover
- Mow high and mulch the clippings
- Convert grass to natural areas
3. Other Ways to be a Better Steward
- Plant native shrubs and grasses
- Mulch around trees and shrubs
- Remove invasive plants such as buckthorn and bittersweet
- Compost and make your own fertilizer
- Inspect and pump your septic tank every two or three years
- Reduce pesticide use.
For more information, contact us as at firstname.lastname@example.org.